Trackball Gaming

I know I’m not the only one, curious what others here are using and why.

I’ve been using a trackball “mouse” of some kind with my PCs for probably 20 or so years. My goto these days is the wired Logitech Trackman Wheel for gaming and the current wireless version (M570) at work.
[attachment=1]Trackman_and_M570_Compare.jpg[/attachment]
I find that I’m a lot more effective with a trackball than a mouse, and even with prolonged use I don’t get any wrist or arm pain. If I set the sensitivity right, in an FPS I can flick the thumb ball and spin around real quick and accurate. One thing I think I do different is my middle finger stays on the scrollwheel with my ring finger on the right button. Not on purpose, just recently realized I did this. What sucks with the Wheel is it has only three buttons and the scroll wheel is kinda weak. The M570 has more buttons but is wireless and the same scroll wheel.

With the new trackball from Logitech out, I did a lot of reading on alternatives. Now I’m debating switching to one of two (Elecom M-XT3URBK for $40 and the Logitech MX Ergo for $100).[attachment=0]XT3-vs-Ergo.jpg[/attachment]
I’m leaning toward the Elecom as it is wired (there is a wireless version). I’m also thinking about using the ring finger button for PTT (or pinkie in my case). Both look to have a better scrollwheel than I have now. However the Ergo is slightly bigger and the quality looks better. The tilt feature is nice too.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Anyone using finger trackballs? Just kidding, finger ball users are weird.

Bring it, Nom

I use the M570 myself. I have been using trackballs for over 20 years myself and love them. I don’;t like normal mice. I use mine for all sorts of gaming.

One thing I forgot to mention that I really like about trackballs is other people HATE using my PC. :smiley:

The battery does last a long time for a mouse, especially when you consider it is only one AA. If my wired one had died, I’d have probably switched to the M570 to.

Got the Elecom trackball in today. Overall, I like it and having extra buttons while still being wired is a big plus. Also nice to have a better scroll wheel. Not sure what I’ll use the left/right scroll clicks for yet. The balls are mostly interchangeable, with the exception of the blue and black balls not working in the corded Trackman Wheel. While they are minutely smaller than the red, that doesn’t appear to be the reason. Let the jokes ensue.
[attachment=0]trackballs.JPG[/attachment]
Only two downsides so far. First is the size. As you can see it is a bit shorter, so there isn’t as much palm support. I might look into fabricating something to bulk up the back end.

After a LOT of trial and error, Mumble will not allow me to use the 6th button for PTT. Either the configuration software has issues with Mumble, the other way around, or both. Discord and Shadowplay for example have no problem using the button if I program a key or other function to it. And before you ask starting either program “as admin” doesn’t fix it. In any event, I’m using the pgup pgdown buttons for PTT and Whisper/Shout.

Interesting. I’ve had 2 M570s and never had an issue with battery life. I replace them from time to time but have never felt that they were not efficient for battery life.

At the risk of necroing an old thread, I thought I’d point out the price on the Logitech MX Ergo has been dropping in price lately. MSRP was $100, but is now below $80 on Amazon. I’m getting tempted to pick one up for work as it is larger than the M570 I’m using now and has a better scroll. For gaming use though, I’m still sceptical of the low dpi.

And now this thing came out last month. Damn its nice to have choices. Just under $80, about the same as the MX Ergo is now.
[attachment=0]71z5tsIL0VL.SL1500.jpg[/attachment]
nerdtechy.com/elecom-ex-g-pro-review

EDIT: The model number on the right in the graphic is wrong, should be M-XPT1MRXBK. Just in case anyone is trying to find it.

That looks like you can palm it extremely well.

I got a Logitech MX Ergo Plus for work earlier this month. The Plus version is/was a Best Buy exclusive and includes an base that add even more tilt than it already has. Absolutely love it, and it points out how small the Elecom XT3 is I use on my game machine. The tilt took a little getting used to, but after I did made it even easier to use and more natural. However I’m not sure I would want this for gaming, given the low DPI. That said, I’ve found myself using the dpi switch a lot at work for fine movement when dealing with graphics and such.

I might bring it home sometime to see how it fares at FPS anyway. If it doesn’t work out I’m definitely tempted to get the Elecom EX-G Pro mentioned in my previous post.

Some differences between the two:
The new Elecom trackballs are triple connection (micro-USB,wireless nano-receiver,bluetooth)
MX Ergo has wireless nano-receiver and bluetooth, but uses a micro-USB cable for charging only.
DPI switch on MX Ergo is next to the ball. EX-G Pro is underneath next to the power switch, not practical if you use it a lot.
Non-removable rechargeable battery in the MX Ergo. Elecom uses one AA battery. Both claim many months of battery life.
EX-G Pro has a slot underneath to store the nano-receiver, while the MX Ergo doesn’t. This surprised me since most of Logitech’s Unifying products do.

I’ve been using the Kensington expert mouse for nearly a decade now. I could not imagine ever using a regular mouse again, and my wrist never hurts and I can turn hard! I’ve loved it so much that when they die I always buy a new one. My only gripe with it is that you can not click the scroll wheel.

The main difference between it and the ones listed in this thread is that you use your index and middle finger for ball control rather then the thumb which I find to be much more precise but does take getting used to.