Almost ready...

Hello everyone Loni here, Most of u dont know me but i have been in here for a while but not active, well i sold my house and moved in my condo now all i need is a new PC this one i have is really old cant handle most of the new games, however i am not really that good at understanding PC parts i was wondering anyone who really understands pc parts would head over to PccZone and build me one, ny budget is $2000-$2300 i also want the Nvidea GTX 1080 i kinda dont want the Founders Edition tho anyway if anyone could help build me one so i can finally play star citizen would be nice thank you.

pcczone.com/gaming-custom-pc … i5-i7.html

What screen resolution are you wanting to run? Also don’t buy those parts, you can build the exact same PC for $600+ USD less.

And just to confirm, you plan on this being a gaming rig correct?

yes a gaming rig, i would just go to ibuypower and get a pc but i live in canada and i wouldnt buy from US it costs alot when it comes here so that why i am trying to use Canadian websites.

I think what Jay’s saying is don’t buy a prebuilt PC - you can save a TON of money by buying the parts yourself (from a Canadian retailer) and assembling it at home. There’s TONS of videos and how-tos online that can walk you through it, and we can help you optimize the parts you buy.

yeah that is also a good idea i know newegg has lots of parts maybe i should look into that this way i can have watever PC case i want

i have a motherboard i bought 2 years ago its a Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h but i dont know how good this thing is or do i need to sell this motherboard and get a better one.

Still need to know what monitor resolution you plan on using?

This is a 3rd gen board as well as being more limited on the number of PCI channels than current boards such as those for current 6th gen Intel CPUs. It also lacks features current boards have like m.2 slots for faster SSD drives. Basing a system around this would significantly limit your options.

ok i guess i wont go with that motherboard and Jay i do plan on using VR and maybe 4K tv 30inch or 40inch not sure right now

what do you guys think of this build

part list:

Intel I7-6700 8-Core Cpu

Corsair H75 Liquid CPU Cooler

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard

G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB 3200 Mhz Ram

Sandisk Ultra 2 480 GB SSD

Western Digital Black Series 2TB Hard Drive

Asus GeForce Gtx 1080 Strix Edition 8GB Graphics card

Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case

Corsair 500W Semi-modular Power Supply

Windows 10 64-Bit

looks ok, but have a few remarks:

Getting aftermarket cpu cooler for a cpu you cant overclock is overkill imo, get the “k” version of that cpu if you want to overclock and keep the cpu cooler, or keep currently picked cpu and just use the stock cooler that comes with it and dont buy the extra cpu cooler.

Not sure about that ssd, there are some awefull ssd out there, but i know we have some guru’s in the clan that knows about this, scandisk do make some good ssd, so dont think its a bad one. I personally love the samsung evo line for bangforbuck or the pro line of you want top performance.

Corsair makes both good and bad PSU, and you just posted it was a 500w corsair unit, i posted a psu tier list below, for a non OC system a tier 3 will do, but if you wanna OC i must highly recommend tier 1-2.

tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id- … -list.html

I own that tower myself and i really like it, tho those dust filters only helps abit with keeping dust out, system will still need cleaning once every 6 months for best performance.

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming: you pay a big premium because of the audio/Ethernet setup and software but if that is why you want this board it is ok, else you can find alot cheaper options that provides the same.

That Samsung SSD that you showed earlier is to my knowledge one of the most reliable on market, but that was a year ago so don’t hold me to that. that however also makes it more expensive. just something to keep in mind. To me that was important because i also use my computer for work. I suggest that you read at least 2-3 reviews of each part and makes sure to use differing sites. I suggest “linus tech tips” on Youtube as a good starting point for information on the different parts and how to design a PC and what goes where if you wanna assemble it yourself.

When it comes to building and assembling PC’s it is simple if you are good at googling and trouble shooting (but can take a long time). But beware, if you don’t buy a CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive then installing windows might become slightly more difficult if you don’t have a laptop to help with the installation and a at the least 10 GB USB stick.

Also if you are using an aftermarket CPU cooler make sure that it comes with cooling paste for the assembly. Some come with it pre-applied. so don’t and some come with a little tube of paste that you have to apply yourself. Either way make sure that you have it. Almost always the standard cooler that comes with a CPU from Intel has cooling paste pre-applied.

A good way to find the correct components is start by picking a CPU and a GPU (and if you want one, a Audio card). then find a mother-board that has the correct type of sockets on it that fit the chosen CPU and GPU. for GPU there can be some reverse generation compatibility issues so make sure that the socket type works with the generation that you choose. for CPU it’s usual an Intel socket or an AMD socket. most Motherboards have versions that support one or the either. Then find the amount of RAM that is needed to support your GPU.

If you work on computers with heavy computation programs or 3D design software for engineering (not game design) then i suggest going slightly larger in CPU and RAM than otherwise. if you do game or movie modeling in 3D then don’t bottle neck at the GPU.

Find a HDD and an SSD and check what type of data cable that they use. Then check that the mother board covers this type of connect. it’s usual a type of SATA cable (3 perhaps).

Finally check the parts that you have chosen and pick a power-supply. Most power supplies have a point of load at which they are most efficient, try to make have the total amount of power that your system needs be just below that sweet spot. Most likely you will be running a little over that when the build is running something big such as Star Citizen and needs a lot of processing power.

When it comes to Cases again, Compatibility. The motherboard and GPU and possible audio card will have a socket type and mounting dimensions. Make sure that your case/tower fits these dimensions. Also check how long the GPU is and make sure that there is space enough inside the case for mounting the chosen GPU.

When choosing after market versions of GPU consider the producers rep of quality VS price. sometimes it’s worth buy a slightly more expensive brand of after market GPU than the cheaper MSI. granted MSI does sometimes do a phenominal job, but not always. I personally have had good experience with EVGA.

Also when looking at CPU beware that less cores on intel products does not directly mean less processing power also, compared to AMD. Also the higher clock speed on a lot of AMD doesn’t always achieve better results on the AMD processors. I use to use AMD GPU and CPU because they were cheaper, but found that they were also less realiable in the long run and therefore switched to Intel and Nvidia. that means less bang for your buck but more reliability. choose what your prefer.

TL:DR learn as much as possible.

Going to TL;DR a good chunk of Rascovitch’s comment:

www.pcpartpicker.com

And to pick out a starting point for components:

logicalincrements.com/

pcpartspicker builds crap… don’t use it IMHO. It’s a crutch that a lot of folks use but you end up with a crippled build or paying too much.

So the 4k requirement is going to increase your cost a lot… Even new pascal cards aren’t true 4k ready. But here is the build you should go with to have a pure gaming system able to do 4k…

Intel i7-6700K - amzn.to/29uGwly
ASUS Z170-K - amzn.to/29mhBNj
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB - amzn.to/29ouB6y
Gigabyte GTX 1080 - amzn.to/29hiyFO
Samsung 850 EVO M.2 - amzn.to/29ouckF
Corsair CS 650W Power Supply - amzn.to/29mi1TY
Corsair Air 540 Case - amzn.to/29fjedB
Corsair H115i - amzn.to/29ouBUl
Seagate 2TB SSHD - amzn.to/29fjkSB
Thermal Paste - amzn.to/29M7W2o

This complete build should be around $1900 USD which is so expensive because of the GTX 1080 pricing. Even with a 1080 expect to only get 45-55 fps on 4k monitors in high end games. There are some corners you could cut here and there, but it won’t drop the price a lot. You could get by with a 600W power supply for example, but the saving would be very low.

Remember with Nvidia graphics cards, if you’re going to SLI you need to buy a matching set, lots of possible problems trying to pickup a second card 2 years from now and getting it to work perfectly.

BTW, these aren’t some random parts I’ve picked out, these are based off of real world experience building a lot of SkyLake machines.

thank you jay for this list i will see how much it will cost i am ok even if it go up to $3000 i have 2 monitors right now Asus HDMi i dont need new montiors but i was planing on getting a 4k for boxing day here in canada or VR later i have to ditch the 4k tv i will i already have montiors but how ever i do plan on getting VR for star citizen.

Content removed by moderator, see below.

i just saw today on facebook that Nvidia is bringing out a new graphic card so that means that 1080 might go down a bit i am gonna wait and build a pc later because right now it looks like if i do build one it is still gonna cost me around $2900 what do you guys thinks is it a good idea to wait a bit. and not rush.

its the 1060 that’s coming out and it will not affect prices on 1070 or 1080, 1060 is launched early because of the newly released card from Radeon RX 480.

Jay has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to building computers, I would personally take his advice over most people. Many others in this org have gotten guidance from Jay and have not been disappointed.

some needed suggestions and i gave one, any reason why it was taken out?