Star Wars Squadrons?

I have it, have been playing the Campaign so far.

It’s certainly no SC, that goes without saying, however I’m playing in VR on an Oculus Rift S with HOTAS and pedals and the game does look and feel amazing like this, the sense of position in combat with laser bolts flying past you and physically looking up and seeing a massive star destroyer above you as you circle around to take out surface defenses, its pretty epic. SDs will also wreck your day quick if you dont keep your speed up and change direction frequently.

In VR, the presence in the cockpit is excellent, they really captured the feel of being there in that ship and the hand animations for any different actions (rebalancing shields, boosting weapons, etc) you take are all well done.

Combat controls are simpler than SC, more on the fun than the realism side (no strafing either), but they work well and there’s still a fair number of targeting, power weapons and shields controls. There is a tiny bit of aim assist for when you get your weapon sights into the target reticle, but there is no lead pip for targets, you have to kentucky windage your leading shots but you’re also typically engaging at closer ranges (<1km) so its not too difficult and adds a skill element.

Overall it’s an excellent game so far. I can see months of play for it, but obviously without new story chapters maybe being developed as DLC one day there’s only so much content for multi-player in the end.

If you want a great Star Wars combat flying game like the old X-Wing vs Tie Fighter updated for 2020, this is it.

Exactly.

I completely agree.
Except on the VR I cant comment as I do not have it. But my POV stick allows me to look around fluidly so I still feel immersed.

My opinion, if there was ever a space flying game to get VR for, it’s this. DCS World, Half-Life Alyx, Assetto Corsa and a few other titles are all also excellent games in VR, but this is Star Wars, so it’s got that extra kick.

So, unsurprisingly, just encountered my first cheaters in the game today. Looks like the current iteration of cheats involves invincibility and one-shot kills, so they can just park themselves in a stationary position above the battlefield and act as an indestructible turret.

They also need to make a firmer call about flight mechanics for this game; I don’t recall P-51 Mustangs being able to stop in mid-air.