Overclocking i5-6600 (non-K) using BCLK, guide or advice

I haven’t bothered with overclocking since Socket 7 (yes, really). However, with the cooling in my current system I realized I have a lot of wiggle room for overclocking my CPU. However, being a non-K CPU, BCLK is the only available overclock option. This is what I have.

ASUS Z170-A mainboard (BIOS ver. 3504)
i5-6600 (non-K) CPU
2 x Corsair Vengence LPX 8GB DDR4 3000MHz C15

Base clock for the i5 is 3.3GHz. From my reading online, others report being able to push it to 4.5GHz without issue or any “creative” cooling required. I’ve found various guides on the subject and tried my best to filter out the bad info. I’ve managed to push it just under 4.0GHz using a 102.5 BCLK. Some guides recommend bumping the RAM back down to 2600MHz, but in my case it seems stable at 3000MHz. However with a BCLK above 102.5 it will not POST. In these cases I lowered the effective RAM speed down to 2600MHz to be safe and tried upping the voltage on the CPU to 1.325v as recommended in most guides. However, with the 102.5 BCLK, the “Auto” setting seems to manage CPU voltage just fine.

With the 4.0GHz overclock, my core temps never exceed low 50s Celsius. There are more details, but I’ll not get into them yet unless needed.

Any recommendations on things to check? Any recommended guides online for me to read?

Most sane people don’t try to overclock non-K proc’s because K’s normally only cost $10-15 more… I’ve never seen a non-K up that 4.5gHz but who knows. Getting 4.5 or higher on a K well below those voltages is easy to do.

Oh, I totally get that K don’t cost much more. Just trying get a little more out of an older CPU, as a worthwhile upgrade is ~$300 minimum (6700k or 7700k).

Like I said its been rock stable for a long while overclocked to 4GHz, and not anywhere close to max temp.

Thanks.

Hia ,
I have done this with a 6200 and overclocked it to 4.533 ghz no problem,

basically you need the correct bios for youre system , if you have updated the bios recently intel added a microcode patch (to manu bios) and the door is potenally locked for this free boost, also the internal gpu wont work , but everyone uses graphics cards so non issue
best gudie below i can send you a copy of bios if you like
forums.overclockers.co.uk/threa … .18709079/

Thanks, I’ve since decided just to wait for now. My FPS in SC is “good enough” and there is a possibility I might get a K chip this quarter or next.

I would check the recent news to assess the impact of the fix to intel chips following the “meltdown” security hole patch to see what impact it has on performance also (ryzen 2) or more accurate ryzen+ has some interesting rumors about its performance and is unaffected by recent security wholes.
TBH, its work waiting till 3.1 by then the CPU market maybe slightly more obvious as to your best buy.

I recenty changed up from 6700k 4.7g to 8700k 5.1 g and the fps diffrence is so narrow to be almost non existant really :slight_smile: ,

Yeah, been looking at the same thing. From what I’ve found, performance loss is mostly to hypervisors, not an issue for gaming.

In my case I’d be going from an i5-6600 (base 3.3Ghz, turbo 3.9) to a K chip that is much more overclock friendly in addition to a base clock almost 1GHz faster than mine. In your case the core speed didn’t go up that much so I’m not suprised it didn’t make much difference.