Opinions About Electronic Gate

I know that this topic is irrelevant to this forum, but I am still hoping that someone can provide me their thoughts about underground dog fence. I am planning to set a boundary in the backyard to ensure the safety of my Pomeranian. Is this product a good alternative to a traditional wood gate?

I used to train Search and Rescue dogs and used electronic fences (mine were with the flags above ground). They worked well while training. Do make sure your batteries in the collar never wear out or they become useless. Once my dogs were trained though I didn’t need fences of any kind. If one ever started to stray even a few feet then they got a reminder for a day with the collar. That was rare though and only with two of them (deer and elk were too exciting for them for a bit).

For some people the cost is too much. It would have been for me at that point but Search and rescue and the sheriff’s department helped (plus at times I had twelve dogs at once so a lot of collars if all needed at once).

Good luck!

Disclaimer: not a professional dog trainer - just a dog owner =)

I have not used one myself, but you do need to be careful about how the dog is trained with the fence system.
If there are no flags or markers, the dog may associate the ‘zap’ with other things - such as passing people, animals, sounds, cars, etc.
This could lead to the dog associating pain, or shocks, or surprise / fear with arbitrary things that are passing when the dog attempts to pass the barrier.

Not saying they are not effective or dangerous - just that it is my understanding that there is training associated with the use of an invisible fence. They are not necessarily “plug and play”