Introductions - TadRoberts

Hi all!

I’m TadRoberts, no relation to Roberts space industries. And old ED handle. Anyhow, I’ve been playing SC for a few months and just starting to look for some community and multiplayer experiences.

I’m a real world software engineer and hobbyist pilot, but still learning the ropes in SC. Finding my $15 joystick isn’t up to snuff so better stuff is on the way. Looking forward to some multiplayer interations in the 'verse.

3 Likes

Welcome to ADI. Which joystick are you looking at?

I ordered a left/right pair of VKB Gladiator NXT Evo. I also ordered the Omni throttle conversion kit for each side, I wanted the maximum flexibility in configuring them the way I want. I have tried a variety of low end sticks and with their massive dead zones, noisy pots, centering issues and heavy spring rates that aren’t adjustable it’s very hard to be precise. I’ve been using a Logitech 3D Pro ($25) and it’s pretty bad.

1 Like

Nice, I’ve got two sticks atm and I love them for general movement as they feel so natural but I’m finding speed control very difficult when flying formation. It’s a real ache.

The EVO sticks can be modified to remove the spring on either axis and an adjustable damper clutch to set drag on the associated axis, as well as an option to tilt the stick over at an angle that they call ‘Omni Throttle’. I’m not sure what config I’ll use yet but there’s a ton of ways to set it up. Having to fight a constant throttle tension in any circumstances would not be desirable, especially in formation. Ideally you could just turn the spring on/off as desired, but it’s a manual operation to open the bottom of the unit up and add or remove the spring so it’s not a simple toggle.

1 Like

Welcome aboard! Jump in mumble and maybe we can group up soon. I’m mainly a bunkers and bounties guy, but I dabble in a little of everything. What division are you joining?

I was put into ESS initially but will be moving towards fleet security as I learn more. All the various roles interest me though.

Last night I jumped on mumble and hit the general chat channel while I was playing. Ended up joining up with some of the folks in the channel in an impromptu pickup group. This was my first multiplayer experience in Star Citizen.

We started off taking an MSR for a ride. One of the associates was wanting to evaluate the ship and they showed me around, secret passageways and all. We headed out to Grim Hex to get some supplies and a couple more associates joined up. They decided to do an 890 Jump mission and I went along.

We all got into a Constellation and headed out for the mission. I learned how to put my fists up and what it’s like to get punched in the head. Then the captain told us kids to stop fighting in the back, so I sat by a big window and watched the action unfolding outside.

The first Cutlass guard ship at the Jump location was taken out by the gunners. The second AI guard ship decided to ram the Connie and it hit just aft of the window I was sitting near. The ship shook and lurched when the cutty exploded against the hull. I think we lost part of the ship in the explosion.

We all EVA’d over to the Jump. I held back and kept some med pens warm, these folks had the situation covered though, and had the jump clear in just a couple of minutes with no injuries. One of them wanted a particular helmet and bodies were looted until things were found. One of the team members accidentally hit a friendly and obtained a crime stat. That would complicate things. Why do friendly AI’s always press charges it was just a leg shot, get over it!

The plan was to get back to Baijini point. Crimestat got into the snub fighter and we planned to do a quick flyby and drop the fighter as we made a pass so we could land the Connie at Baijini point. However, as we approached the station there was an issue with the snub fighter launch and the Connie slowed down on approach. The station opened fire. I lost my voice comms at this point. Great timing! The ship took heavy damage and we went into a spin so hard that my char blacked out. Went along great with the comms loss! I tabbed out to fix my comms, but they wouldn’t reconnect so I was in the dark literally.

Tabbing back in still without voice comms, I regained consciousness and the ship was still and no longer moving. I got up and looked around, and the Connie was empty. I ran to the bridge and the remainder of the team was EVA to another ship. The Connie had taken severe damage and was no longer capable of reaching Baijini. I re-established comms in game chat and found that an abandon ship order had been given. CI would do well to add alert light levels and warning signs for major orders like that (red alert, etc…) that would have really added to the experience! I quickly made my way to the cargo bay (the elevator tried to kill me) and got out of there, headed for the rescue ship and boarded. We carried on to Baijini without further incident and landed, all accounted for.

It was great time, thanks all who were involved. I’ve played a lot of MMOs and such but nothing matches the kind of gameplay and immersion that went into last night’s run. I really appreciate the group letting me tag along! I really appreciate the great introduction to ADI style multiplayer!

Shout outs to @Celestine1313 @Hozho @Nilen @Noromus

There were others but I didn’t catch every body!

3 Likes

Also forgot to mention @Thaeus who facilitated much of the evenings activities!

1 Like

Such a cool story! I had my own little group adventure last night.

@ParticleMann @Varkko and I took out a total of 4 pvp bounties last night in Crusader space.

The first was a clueless dude in a cutlass black that didn’t put up much of a fight.

The second was a sneaky player that landed on the surface of Cellin and went down in Security Post Criska to clear his stat. We landed, loaded up on the elevator down, and got in a short firefight at the bottom floor entrance of the post resulting in our target being eliminated. Little did we know, our bounty had left another player in his ship that was landed outside the security post (we didn’t blow it up in an attempt to sneak up on him, blowing the ship up would have tipped him off as to our arrival and he could have logged off the server). Once we pop back up topside, we notice that the vanguard harbinger he had brought was in the air, looming above. It began strafing the surface of the moon around the security post and we rushed back inside to avoid the laser fire. He blew up my gladius and launched 1-2 missiles at the Criska building in an attempt to hit us with splash damage, then retreated as he now had a crime stat. We managed to pile in the only ship remaining of the trio we initially brought down to the surface and headed for Grim Hex to seek some medical attention for wounds received during the firefight down below.

The last two confirmed kills came when we tracked a player bounty to Security Post Kareah. When we jumped in, there was a massive NPC battle raging and I engaged a few ships while we assessed the situation. We located the bounty target’s ship parked up under the pads on the station and we went in to land and breach. I unfortunately was being engaged by the stations turrets due to my participation in the ship battle. I stayed off station in an attempt to maintain air superiority and @ParticleMann and @Varkko touched down. They breached, located the bounty target and had a short firefight, ending in what appeared to be the bounty accidentally incapacitating him self with a grenade. I was finally able to land as the turrets had stopped firing on me, but I made the mistake of landing when two other player ships were hanging around. Once I was on station, we dragged the bounty’s incap’d body into a hallway to finish the job. I fired 4-5 rounds of S71 into our target only for two of our group of three to get bushwhacked by one of the players that had apparently landed and snuck into the station. @ParticleMann was still up and rushed over to engage the hostile. He managed to knock the intruder, but was incapacitated himself. During all of the shooting I was full-killed and respawned at CRU-L1. I pulled the first ship I had and rushed back over for medical rescue with two ADI members down on the floor of the station.

Here’s where the story doesn’t get so glorious. When I got back on station, the party pips were extremely screwed up and the intel from the two incap’d on the floor led to a blue on blue friendly fire situation. I never saw the intruder, but was informed that he was in heavy armor and still present on station incapacitated. I knew what general direction the fire came from and when I entered station, I put three rounds into @Varkko ’s body as he was wearing a non-ADI helmet and heavy armor. I believe there must have been some desync during the incident because his body was lying about where the intruder would have been firing from just outside the doorway of where I was killed. We immediately realized the mistake and determined that the other player must have already backspaced. I quickly picked up @ParticleMann and put on all of @Varkko ’s gear to preserve it for him. We met up, transferred all of his gear back to him with many apologies, and continued on with our night.

Scratch 4. Criminals beware. ADI will put you away.

“You only need to hang mean bastards, but mean bastards you need to hang.”

3 Likes

Glad you had fun!

@Varkko should have been wearing ADI gear :frowning:

1 Like

I really enjoyed reading this! You should write one up after each session!

Maybe there should be an official ‘Press’ role to observe and report on OPs! That might be a fun angle to play from time to time.

1 Like

Welcome to ADI TadRoberts - looks like you’re well on your way and I probably have a few things to learn from you. Esp, on setting up that stick. Great to have you, see you in the verse.