Will this run SC?

Will this system run Star Citizen???

FX-6300 Gaming PC with WINDOWS 7 (AMD FX-6300 6 Core Bulldozer CPU OVERCLOCKED to 3.7GHz, AMD Radeon R7 240 2GB DDR3 Graphics Card, 1TB Hard Drive, 8GB DDR3 Memory, HDMI 1080p, USB 3.0) (pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS) or Windows 10???

Please help…

You should be just fine running Star Citizen with that setup.

How about my setup?

CPU: Intel: Core i7 860
Motherboard: MSI Big Bang Fuzion
RAM: 2x2gb G.Skill Ripjaw 1600Mhz
Video: XFX Radeon HD 5770
Hard Drive: WD Caviar Black 750gb
DVD Burner: DVD Burner
Bluray player/burner
Audio: Integrated on motherboard
Power Supply: OCZ ModXtreme 700W Corsair 750W
Case: Corsair 800D
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50
Operating System: Windows 7 Home x64

That system might run it, but it will be marginal at best.

That’s what I was afraid of.

Any suggestions on how to rebuild the system so it will?

Other than the case and power supply there is really nothing worth keeping if you’re going to upgrade.

Maybe the HDD too.

I’d personally carry over to a new build the DVD burner, hdd, psu, cpu cooler & case probably :slight_smile:
(replacement parts being mboard, cpu, ram, gfx card. Crucial components I know, but personally I buy with mentality it will last me 5 years before a rebuild)

Thanks for the swap out info! I am taking recommendations on specific hardware that you have found useful in your own builds or your planned builds too. I’m updating a Google spreadsheet to tally cost and see different options.

I haven’t built my own PC in a while, so I haven’t been keeping up with things, so any suggestions you all can make would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

Sturm

I’d echo sfoxor on what parts shoudl be re-usable, with 1 caveat on the Hard Drive.

the expected lifespan of a hdd should be 3-5+ years… but the replacement price is also damn cheap.

for 50-75 US you can get a 2TB 7200 RPM drive with 64MB cache which would be brand new, and should last another 3-5 years

If that 750GB is more than 3 years old… I’d think about replacing it in my Main machine at least… and use it in a secondary machine, or as a backup drive… YMMV though.

PSU, Case, and Cooler should all be fine with haswell or skylake CPU, MB, and 8-16GB of Memory, plus Video card of your choice.

Karlman

I’d echo sfoxor on what parts shoudl be re-usable, with 1 caveat on the Hard Drive.

the expected lifespan of a hdd should be 3-5+ years… but the replacement price is also damn cheap.

for 50-75 US you can get a 2TB 7200 RPM drive with 64MB cache which would be brand new, and should last another 3-5 years

If that 750GB is more than 3 years old… I’d think about replacing it in my Main machine at least… and use it in a secondary machine, or as a backup drive… YMMV though.

PSU, Case, and Cooler should all be fine with haswell or skylake CPU, MB, and 8-16GB of Memory, plus Video card of your choice.

Karlman

Good suggestions, all. I just bought a bluray burner so I can watch bluray disks on my PC. I’ll keep that, the other DVD burner,
power supply, case, and cooler, and then upgrade pretty much everything else.

I’m trying to spread out the damage… Ugh.

Be aware that if you upgrade to the latest Skylake Motherboards, they mostly accept only DDR4 ram, so your existing DDR3 ram won’t fit in the ram sockets.

I doubt the socket is backwards compatible to a Core i7 860 either, so you’d be looking at RAM, MB, CPU all at once.

Just FYI

From the RSI page, Minimum PC requirements:

Windows 7 (64 bit) – Service Pack 1, Windows 8 (64 bit)
DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM
Quad core CPU
8GB Memory

I wouldn’t expect much with these beyond walking around in the hanger, without major performance issues.

Necrothread resurrection…

So I have the start of a new build on pcpartpicker: [url]http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JZHPMp[/url].

I really need recommendations on CPU, GPU, mobo, and RAM to avoid compatibility issues. The rest I think I’m good to carry over (will get power supply based on demand and new HDDS).

First thing that comes to mind is you can pick up an OEM copy of windows from amazon for like $50ish, which you can upgrade to windows 10. (I believe the free upgrade runs out start of July if i remember rightly).

My system has an i5-6600, but an i7-6700K like you selected would work just fine in it. If your overclocking your CPU is a good choice, if not its overkill for the money and an i5 Skylake would do fine.

Here is the RAM and board I’m using:
[url]https://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15r[/url]
[url]https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z170a[/url]

I kept my old 750 GTX graphics card, as I’m holding out for the next gen coming out this fall. I understand the 970 GTX is the best bang-for-buck these days. Anything more powerful would be wasted on the 1080p display you selected.

For primary storage, I highly recommend a solid state using the M.2 socket. Keep in mind there are two types of M.2 cards, Sata and NVMe. The later is faster but cost twice as much and some argue if the difference is noticeable. I made a part list of the 4 cards I’d recommend looking at. It really depends on how big you feel your C drive should be. In my case I got the 256GB NVMe drive as I really didn’t need the extra space for my game system.
[url]http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pKHWVn[/url]