I’ve always put my own rig together in the past for gaming. I used to be relatively well up to date with the latest in GPUs, CPUs, storage and RAM, motherboards and anything else. Over the last couple of years life happened and I’ve lost touch with the industry. I know the latest, but I’m not so clear on the benefits and aspects of the new tech and how it changed since Intel gen 5, etc.
I’m looking at getting a whole new PC, as my current motherboard chipset is quite old and I do not think upgrading what I’ve already got would be very future proof. I had my rig for 5 or 6 years so far and I’m happy with it generally. It just does not produce the same level of stability in SC that I’ve been used to over the years and I feel its time to upgrade, to keep up with the increasing demands of the game. I’ve had enough of frame stutters I guess.
For reference, here is what I currently use:
MSI Z97 M-Power Mobo
Intel i7 4790k CPU
16GB Corsair Vengeance 2.4khz DDR3 RAM
4GB GTX980 EVGA SC 2.0 GPU
500GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD
2TB SATA 6 HDD
750W 80 plus fully modular PSU (EVGA)
I’ve been looking at scan.co.uk’s 3XS systems and playing around with some configurations. This has raised some questions around the differences in performance for various components.
To give you guys an idea, I am thinking about going for something along these lines:
- 32GB DDR4 2.6khz+ RAM Corsair preferably. Do not think there is much point going for more RAM. Or is there?
- GTX3070/3080 - do you think there is much difference in performance? I hope to use the new setup for the next 5-6 years - 4 at minimum.
- unsure about CPU, I do not understand the difference between latest AMD and Intel CPUs. Never had an AMD but willing to give it a go and hope you guys could give me some of your opinions on the best choice. So far I’ve only been looking at the latest gen i5s and i7s.
- definitely going to go for an m2 drive, is there anything I should stay away from or go for specifically do you think? Will pair this with a 2TB HDD for storage.
- motherboard to match the CPU, not overly concerned about choice, unless there is an option that is good value that you reckon I should look at.
- any other notes or recommendations are welcome.
I’ve not got as much time these days to research all of this by myself and if any of you feel that you have the experience or knowledge that you could share with me here I would really appreciate. Please share your thoughts and ideas if you can.
Many thanks and see you in the verse.