PC Upgrade for SC

Hi there,

my current setup is a budget build that I created last year. Now I am way more into gaming and thought of upgrading it, also to counter my low fps in SC.

My current specs are:

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (with stock cooler, overclocked to 3800Mhz, normally on 3400Mhz)
  • Gainward 6GB GTX 1660 super Ghost OC
  • 16 gigs of DDR4 RAM (2x8) running on 3000 (theoretically, I overclocked it but BIOS shows it running at 2100 and other software at even lower speed): G.Skill Aegis F4-3000C16-8GISB DDR4
  • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Ultra (got this MB recently on sale specifically for new Ryzen Processors, before that I had an MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX)
  • 1TB HDD, 250GB SSD, 500GB M.2 (where SC is on)
  • Thermaltake Smart RGB 500W (worst 80+ rating possible)
  • Samsung monitor (1080p, 60hz, 23.5 inches) First one on Amazon when searching for a monitor

I thought of getting the new Ryzen 5300 or the x variant, I don’t know which would be more worth it.
Otherwise, a 3080 would most likely be bottlenecked by my current CPU and my 1660 runs nearly every game with 60 fps. Also for a new GPU, I would need a better monitor, otherwise, it would be worthless and the difference unnoticeable. Since SC needs more CPU than GPU I really thought of one of the new Ryzens. Also, I read SC runs better on Intel but I guess it’s too late for that now anyway. Also, some people said Star Citizen needs a lot of RAM which is something I thought about upgrading with the same kit again as well. I appreciate all your help,

Cheers,
Icy

My thoughts.

On the CPU, I’ll only say don’t get price gouged on new Ryzens if you can help it. Availability is making it a field day for the scalpers. You might find a good discount on a clearance of the previous gen, but it might not be much of a gain over what you have now for the money.

(Obligatory comment that for new gaming builds we generally recommend Intel CPUs still. That might change if the new Ryzens become more available at their actual MSRP).

Highly recommend 32GB of ram for SC, it made a huge difference for me on my build then (i7-7700K and 1080GTX). You may not see a boost in fps, but it helped with lowering the frequency of lag spikes when the system starts resorting to the swap file. Also, only get an EXACT match for your current pair or replace it. I’ve had part number matches only to find they changed controllers between runs, and XMP would fail.

(Side note, leave the swap file system managed on one SSD. Lots of bad advice out there to significantly reduce in size or eliminate the swap file.)

Unless you are trying to game above 1080p, I’d personally just hold out with that card until GPU availability improves.

1 Like

The graphics card is actually quite decent. The CPU could definitely use an upgrade - especially given how CPU intensive SC is these days. (you might want to run on med-high, since that is going to put more priority to your GPU - low is more for CPU if yo have a better CPU).

Although, honestly, RAM. RAM is crucial (get it?) 32 is the minimum I would suggest for star citizen. You CAN scrape by with 16 but it will cause issues.

5600x is a VERY nice CPU, tons of power and will not get old anytime soon. Great value for money and you shouldn’t have to upgrade your mobo to make it work.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Hey Scaryspikes, thanks for the help. I did upgrade my CPU, RAM, and Motherboard, got a 5800x on an x570 and 32gigs 3600 speed :wink: the game does run smoother now! Just waiting for a nice GPU to be in a reasonable price range, and my setup will be finally complete.

Oh its my pleasure brother! So glad to hear you got a better experience out of that. Just keep in mind that Star Citizen is heavily influenced by server issues, and that includes performance. There are times my 5900x, 64gb ram and 3080 have a tough time when the server just says “No, we’re goin slow today” :stuck_out_tongue: But that is a great setup and I am sure you will be very happy overall. If your GPU is a little older than your CPU now, you could also try running the game on low. As I may have mentioned before, it should say this:

• CPU Heavy
  • CPU & GPU Mixed
  • GPU Heavy
  • VERY GPU Heavy

Instead of:

• Low
  • Medium
  • High
  • Very high

Because that is what those settings actually do. So you might see better performance by switching to low for a better CPU, and high for a better GPU, I usually keep mine at high or sometimes medium for the best results.

All the best of luck and feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions or need further help.

1 Like

Thanks for the info on the settings! Will definitely try to switch them around to see what gives me the best performance.

1 Like

Another setting to watch now is Volumetric Clouds (found in Options menu). With the new cloud tech on Crusader, it can have a significant impact on fps for systems just “getting by” for now. I have a 1080GTX running 1440p. I set it to Medium (lowest setting), and I gain over 10fps versus High as a result.

2 Likes

My pleasure bro!

1 Like

Take a peek here to check your pc:s performance ranking:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/telemetry

2 Likes