Other Games we can Play as a Group

I don’t know if this has been posted before but I was wondering what other games we might play as a group besides SC.
so list the games your interested in playing with other Org Members.
Edited to show a full list of Sudjestions.

Space Engineers
DayZ
Planet Side 2 (1 member NC on Emerald, I’m TR in Connery)
Planet Explorers
Monico
Dawn of War 1 +Expansions
Dawn of War 2 + Expansions

Other Peoples Suggestion from posts
Evolve
Blacklight: Retribution
Supreme Commander
Interstellar Marines

PlanetSide2
WarThunder
Artemis - ( If you haven’t heard of this, check it out. It’s a space ship bridge simulator. It’s super crude, looks like StarFox 64, but this game would be excellent training for corvette+ ship ops.)

Evolve
Blacklight: Retribution
Supreme Commander
Interstellar Marines
(I’ll have to think of more…)

PlanetSide2 - I’m mainly NC on Emerald if anyone wants to join up.
WarThunder - Sim Battles for dogfighting practice.
Artemis - If you haven’t heard of this, check it out. It’s a space ship bridge simulator. It’s super crude, looks like StarFox 64, but this game would be excellent training for corvette+ ship ops.

I’ll start this with an asterisk, and that is people can play what ever they want when ever they feel like. It his HIGHLY discouraged to try to gather a group of people for a game or try to schedule something when there is a scheduled event going on for ADI (such as flight nights).

With that said, we do not wish to endorse games to play as a group (“group” in this case meaning the entirety of ADI) that will teach bad habits. That includes DayZ, Space Engineers, RTS games, arcade style games or the like. This list does go on… but you get the idea. The games we’ll endorse as an organization that people can play as a group and that we actively encourage in playing and practicing or applying team work strategies would be things like Arma 3 Co-Op missions, Falcon BMS, DCS, War Thunder is (mostly) fine, Interstellar Marines, Insurgency, Evolve, and I could maybe see Artemis, but I’d actually have to see how it functions primarily.

How I figure it is I make sure it meets certain criteria before I, as leadership, would endorse or recommend games to play as a group.

1.) Does it encourage team work and discourage lone wolf behavior?
2.) Can you apply effective, real world tactics to it?
3.) Does it challenge the players/members to a higher level and/or their highest level of potential?
4.) Does it avoid things like Free For All’s like the plague?
5.) Does it allow and put all ADI members on the same team and avoid separating them at all costs?

If all of these are met, then I’ll usually endorse them and post them publicly.

Insurgency on steam.

1.) Does it encourage team work and discourage lone wolf behavior? Yes, go alone and get capped.
2.) Can you apply effective, real world tactics to it? Yes you can, very realistic game.
3.) Does it challenge the players/members to a higher level and/or their highest level of potential? Yes, can be incredibly difficult and weapon damage is very realistic.
4.) Does it avoid things like Free For All’s like the plague? Yes, the game is almost entirely team based.
5.) Does it allow and put all ADI members on the same team and avoid separating them at all costs? Perhaps not at all cost, but it should be fairly easy to get on the same team in the majority of the gamemodes.

That’s kinda why I listed the games that I did. Insurgency meets the majority and I have mentioned it on multiple occasions to the Marines/FPS groups. The only minor issue people are more inclined to wait until the FPS module releases. But you’ll get no argument with me when it comes to Insurgency. :slight_smile:

I don’t really see evolve hitting those key points, it does have lonewolf aspect and it separates teammates. League of Legends could fall under it;

1.) Does it encourage team work and discourage lone wolf behavior? yes because if you aren’t working as a team then its a given loss
2.) Can you apply effective, real world tactics to it? yes, teaching your mind to be aware of enemy movements and predict there whereabouts can help you to read people/enemies and also increase your reaction time
3.) Does it challenge the players/members to a higher level and/or their highest level of potential? to the max
4.) Does it avoid things like Free For All’s like the plague? has no free for all
5.) Does it allow and put all ADI members on the same team and avoid separating them at all costs? yep yep

i’m down for planetside 2 i’m on emerald, TR

Allow me to clarify real world tactics. Repeatable tactics that improve combat effectiveness and promote players to be situationally aware of details within a combat engagement.

League of Legends does not do this. It also does not challenge players to their highest level of potential because, if you’re playing in a ranked pvp match, there are brackets which you play with people of equal skill and there is a cap and also an inane “false ceiling” where the majority of it’s users cap out at.

It does encourage team work, but does not discourage lone wolf behavior. Case in point: team carrys. One person with a very strong champion can win the game for the entire team while the rest of the team fails miserably. I’m primarily focusing on games that force people to think, work and breathe as a team. Not give you the option.

If we’re arguing about Evolve, from the point of view from someone who’s never played it upon release no less, it meets all of those points. There’s no fake barrier and/or ceiling and no separation of “skill level” which forces people to get better and better. Real world tactics can be applied and force people to be situationally aware to every aspect of gameplay: corpses eaten by a monster, a fallen tree knocked over by the monster, your resources, vultures being attracted to a freshly eaten corpse, and encouraging constant communication between the team. While, with Evolve it’s stretching it some what, it is further above LoL in that aspect. I also did throw out RTS style games and focus on only games that could take the genre in general and apply it to Star Citizen.

Also, this is not an “opinion” check list. It’s a leadership checklist before we support a game officially. Evolve is not an officially supported game and never will be. Neither will LoL because of the amount of the limited amount of players that can play together.

I would take a look at Artemis, there are good youtube videos demoing the gameplay. It is in no way shape or form is going to teach tactics that will translate to Star Citizen or improve stick and rudder skills, but it has the potential to be an invaluable tool to teach teamwork and communication among a starship crew. Up to 6 players connect to a ship (multiple ships can connect to a server) and each person has 1 specific station they’re in charge of, whether that’s helm, weapons, science, etc. In this way, the only way to move the ship, engage the enemy, manage primary systems, and scan the space around you is for all crew members to be actively working together. To my knowledge, it’s the only live game that simulates being the bridge crew on a starship.

Here are a few more ideas perhaps…

Pulsar lost colony, like Artemis, but from a first person perspective.
Guns of Icarus Online, crew piloting blimps working together to beat the others

Edit (Comparison of games against criteria set out)

1.) Does it encourage team work and discourage lone wolf behavior?
Both encourage working as a team to help improve the chances of the ship that you all share surviving against sometimes very difficult situations.
2.) Can you apply effective, real world tactics to it?
Guns of Icarus: Kind of, if your ships get separated then you can be picked apart by a skilled opponent team. It certainly promotes intra-ship communications as the engineer can’t always see everything that’s going on, just components that are being damaged, so the captain can call repair priorities, or the gunners can be told which airship to target first and potentially what type of ammo to use. Captains can also talk with the other captain(s) in their team to ensure that comms chatter is kept structured and useful.

Pulsar: I would argue that if Artemis can be claimed to do this, then so can Pulsar, as it is an FPS version of that game with a bit more. You can also teleport onto other ships or some planets. Whilst you can’t have multiple ships in the same game that may change as the game is developed.

3.) Does it challenge the players/members to a higher level and/or their highest level of potential?
Both: Yes, if any single crew-member is weak, or wants to, they can have a big impact on the effectiveness on the rest of the crew. By pushing every member of the team to do better the team as a whole improves.

4.) Does it avoid things like Free For All’s like the plague?
Both: Yes, if you have folks running around doing whatever they want then your vessel (whether space or air ship) will quickly meet it’s end.

5.) Does it allow and put all ADI members on the same team and avoid separating them at all costs?
Pulsar: If you create a crew you can password protect it if you want, allowing an ADI-only crew.

Guns of Icarus: You can spread out or team up as much as you want. You can create groups and queue for games together and can make sure that you have pure ADI crews if you wish. (Sometimes splitting up to experience completely different command and play styles can be fun and allows you to bring the best-practices of other crews into your own)

“Repeatable tactics that improve combat effectiveness and promote players to be situationally aware of details within a combat engagement.” How in the world does LoL not do this? i gave 2 simple examples of how it does, if you wanted to apply these to say SC then quickly catching how a person flys can set you up for an advantage to take the kill, it trains you in a number of ways that are subconscious and you wouln’t pickup on unless you thought into it.

“if you’re playing in a ranked pvp match, there are brackets which you play with people of equal skill and there is a cap and also an inane “false ceiling” where the majority of it’s users cap out at.” False in every way, the brackets are only to show current skill level and as you progress you also increase in rank meaning high skill leveled players, hence amateur to pro. A cap? you only cap if you arent taking what you’ve learned previously an applying it, practice does make perfect, just gotta look at the matches as training.

“It does encourage team work, but does not discourage lone wolf behavior. Case in point: team carrys. One person with a very strong champion can win the game for the entire team while the rest of the team fails miserably.” Another False, sure you can have a strong champion on your team but if that person isnt setup or not protected then you can still lose in an instant, heres a example youtube.com/watch?v=JRRnt-Afr7o

“If we’re arguing about Evolve, from the point of view from someone who’s never played it upon release no less, it meets all of those points.” I have watched plenty of streams/reviews as i do with most games before i buy them and i was able to see all of what you are speaking of, can relate to being aware of the surroundings but it only does teamwork to the 4 hunters and thats practically like the left-4-dead series in context.

All in all i can see LoL not being on there due to the limit of players but if we say ha multiple teams running it wouldn’t be to bad of an issue.

I’ll reiterate. Play what you want. But LoL will never be a game that we encourage people to play as a group to enhance the skill set that we are looking for. Any and all RTS games would completely be off the list.

wow this grew a lot since I last checked, I meant to check it sooner but 99% of my free time has been consumed by packing.
I do agree with havok about playing different games when we have org stuff and didn’t mean to imply that. I also agree about his team building skill games. I will say that day z when played together as a group does have team tactics, its just a huge pain in the ass to find your friends for that to work. Anyway this was more of a list of things to play with people when we were not playing Star Citizen.

Nah, that’s fine. I figured that’s what you meant in the first place. I just wanted to drop on by and give some feedback regarding things I’d encourage as a whole that will teach good habits and avoid the bad habits. Other than that, play what you want. :slight_smile:

I would be more than happy to play counter-strike with anyone here. Playing together enough in CSGO would lead to setting up crossfires and baits without the need for comms. Might help some with aim as well. I’m open to playing something else that incorporates more equipment usage as well. I’m curious how much CIG plans on using ground vehicles for combat. They could really bring out a whole new level of combat with a few weapons mounts to the buggy.

Dayz can be nice, It is a challenge work in a group.