Karon-rex, introduction

Hey folks,

I applied here three years ago. Unfortunately back then, a combination of real life, bad broadband and old PC forced me to drop out fairly soon.
I recently came back to SC after some hardware updates and it’s finally fluid (well, you know how SC is) and stable (err, same as for the previous :slight_smile: ).
I am re-applying here because, out of the many orgs in the 'verse, none sound as well-structured and organized as ADI.

So, a couple words about me: over 35, soon to be father. I backed in early 2013 after following the project for a few months. My nickname should be only Karon but was taken already. Rex is a wordplay on my first name.
I used to play ArmA3 in a Brit group and now DCS, on RW (Ka-50) but mostly as a RIO (F-14). I love tinkering with Arduino and build my controllers. I have a small website where I post random stuff about DCS and Arduino (http://flyandwire.com/ - I recently moved to another area of London, so I didn’t have time to post much).

As my DCS “background” suggests, I’m not really into flying myself, I really prefer the tactical level of an engagement and the bigger picture. SC-wise, I have a “unicorn” Merchantman, a Corsair and a Polaris. I really hope the latter will provide the kind of gameplay I am looking for.

See you in the verse!

1 Like

Welcome to ADI Karon-Rex, or should I say; welcome back. A lot’s happened to the game and 3.7.2 is the version you’ve been waiting for. I look forward to playing with you.

Karon, a great many of us 2-3 years ago couldn’t do much in Star Citizen, It didnt’ really pick up till 3.0 and 3.8 should make some great changes for the most of us where server’s are holding you back. can’t do much about the CPU/GPU bottlenecks, but definitely get that SSD drive.
With your background you might like what you find here. :slight_smile:
See you when I do

Hello Rex … Welcome in the team then and have a good time here in our Org. See you in the Verse.

@karon-rex. Hard to send you a welcome message when you technically should be welcoming me… ADI is the place to be if you are a tactical minded player. The guys have put on some great org ops plus there’s typically a load of people to team up with on mumble.

Welcome, karon, glad to have you aboard! If you need any help with anything please don’t hesitate to ask. Looking forward to flying with you in the Verse!

welcome to the ORG,
I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Welcome back to the Verse and to ADI @karon-rex. We can all appreciate the struggles of hardware needs and connection speeds. Love to see folks working with Arduino, I just got into reading the basics of it myself for use in my shop work but I’d love tinker with a few controllers as well for gaming at some point. See you in the Verse

hey Rex, you’d probably enjoy hanging out infront of a holo globe on a cap ship then :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome back to Star Citizen Karon!

As well as welcome back to Atlas and it sounds like it’ll be a good fit if you’re looking into structured play and a good environment you’ve come to the right place. Look forward to flyin with you and if you’ve questions feell free to ask around the servers or here in the forums! Also congratulations on fatherhood!

We do have some DCS flyers check our discord for the DCS room !

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

@ColeHunter: Definitely, the SSD is a must-have for SC. I always run it on a SSD, initially an old 60GB, now on an M.2 NVMe. My GPU now is the biggest bottleneck now (1070, non Ti), I will upgrade it at some point.

@GraniteHand: Arduino is incredibly easy to use, compared to other microcontrollers. For most HID devices, simple C is more than enough. I’m happy to help if you plan to build something :slight_smile:

@DixonR: that’s good to hear, although the problem of DCS is that it’s a part-time job in terms of time and commitment requested!

1 Like

Hi, Karon. I like your PFP of axes made of axes. I’m also interested in building custom controllers and cockpits. I have some experience with Arduino and a few other microcontrollers, but I’m still in the planning phase for my controls and cockpit. I’ve taken a look at the projects on your website and I’ll probably ask you for some tips at some point. :slightly_smiling_face: The nice thing about that 8x8 matrix is that you didn’t need dozens of diodes because it doesn’t need to support lots of simultaneous key presses.

Hi, I’m glad you liked it! I started by using a matrix as well (I credited the source a few times in different posts) but eventually wrote my firmware from scratch. I now use a process that may recall a potentiometer: series of resistors, each connected to an input that closes the circuit when it’s pressed. The total value of the resistor allows identifying which button has been pressed. On top of that I use 2-way or 3-way switches as “Masters” to double or triple the numbers of buttons. By doing this I reach over 100 buttons by using a single arduino board.

For instance, the Radar Panel (on the left of the F/A-18 UFC) has more than 110 logical buttons and half of them physical:

Whereas the matrix is quite limited. My very first box is the one on the Virpil’s desk mount. It has, IIRC, ~25 buttons and 4 encoders. Nothing compared to the over 100 + 7 encoders of the radar panel.

Feel free to ask me anything, I’m always happy to help (although I’m quite short on time now). Is there a more approriate area of the forum already dedicated to this kind of discussions?

1 Like