High Level Build

Hi folks,

I have a few questions for Sam or Jay:

1. The “Star Citizen Rig” (atlasdefenseindustries.com/news/ … itizen-rig) is the High level build, right? So, are there any recommended upgrades from the moment it was published or is it still top of the line?
  2. For example, the memory in the Mid-level 2K build (2x8GB DDR4 3000 MHz PC4-24000) looks a bit better than the one in the “Star Citizen Rig” (2x8GB DDR4 2400 MT/s PC4-19200), I am getting this right?
  3. Could I install the Corsair Liquid Cooler on the Corsair Graphite 230T Case or do I need to go with the Corsair Carbide Case for that cooler?
  4. My wife needs to do some serious statistical computing on the build (she needs to run SAS on 2 Gb datasets), will it worth upgrading to an Intel Core I7-6700K or is it overpriced?
  5. Any other recommendation to improve computational power on the build?

Thanks in advance!

1. No these are mid level builds, Sam and I have higher level builds that will come out in the coming weeks.

2. The first ram is better for over clocking, since the other build isn’t designed for overclocking, we included less expensive ram that will function just fine.

3. I don’t have experience with that case, but it looks like a double wide cooler could fit in the case. The case’s we recommended we have experience fitting the coolers in that case and know it will work with no problems or modding.

4. These are gaming rigs, which are tweaked for best price for performance of running games. I would build a completely different kinda of system for running those types of workloads. Without a lot more information I can only guess, but a Haswell based LGA2011v3 might be a better build depending on the specifics.

5. Again these are gaming systems we’re recommending, not high end workstations… I’d be happy to sit down and see what type of system would be a good solution for you.

Thank you, Jay.

I will try to gather more info regarding the software needs.
I will also check those high end builds once you publish them. I might kill two birds with one stone… :slight_smile:

I was thinking (not my optimum choice):

System Configuration:

Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 5960X 3.0GHz (Eight-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices) (I really need 7 would settle for 5)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 1500W Corsair AX1500i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD PCI-E Card (800GB Intel 750 Series) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (6TB Seagate)
Storage Set 3: 1x Storage (6TB Seagate)
(Could be raid config. but decided against it)
Internet Access: Wireless USB ASUS N13 (Supports 802.11n/g/b)
Graphics Card(s): 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - (I want but not enough slots)
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Level 4: (3x Video Cards + CPU + Chipset)
H20 Tube Color: Red Tubing (Requires Custom HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Chassis Fans: Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: Fan Blow-Holes: VREG/CPU & Graphics Card Area: Laser Cut and Mount a Side Window 140mm Fans
Noise Reduction: Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: - Decided no to overclock video card(s)?? (system/cooling could deal with overclocking)
Memory Boost: - Decided no to overclock my memory?? (system/cooling could deal with overclocking)
OS Boost: Will disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition) (is their any reason to upgrade?)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit

In order to get the liquid cooling I want I can not get the motherboard with the extra slot for a 1x NVIDIA Tesla K40 Computing Processor (12GB Memory) :astonished: :frowning:

What you think. Like I mention to build what I really want I would need a mother board with 7 PCI-E slots and still handle the cooling system.

The one thing that I’m trying to wait for before buying a new Gaming rig is the next generation of video cards.

so far, it looks like at least NVIDIA could be coming out with a new generation of cards somewhat soon… as in maybe summer time.

This would be the PASCAL line, and is supposed to be manufactured on the 16nm FINFET fab at TSMC. This would be the first silicon shrink in 2 or 3 generations of video cards (I think the 700, 800, and 900 NVIDIA series all use the same fab technology).

This should hopefully mean that the new cards can actually be a decent (20-30%??) performance jump at the high end. They will also use HBM2 memory, doubling or tripling the memory throughput compared to 980’s/TITANs etc.

There could also be improvements related to Vulcan/DX12, compared to previous generations.

So far there has been no firm announcements/shipping dates yet, nor features, prices etc… so it is a case of soon ™.

can the high level build hold dual 980ti graphic cards with an upgraded power supply?

Yes no problem.

sweet

Super, if you’re ready to make a move, hit me up and I can help you put together a custom build.