GPU question, Red or Green? [Solved]

Hey guys,

I’m looking for some insight from the Org, I know some of the more knowledgeable members are coming up with different builds for PCs so I am after some advice.

I am part way through building my new PC, I’ve been building them for years and I always research my parts, see what works within my budget to get the most for my money. The build is up and running but it missing the one last main component, a GPU.

Spec in the new rig is as follows:

CPU: i7 6700
Mobo: Asus Maximus VIII Hero
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 MHz
PSU: Corsair 850i Gold
OS HDD: Samsung 950 M2 256 GB
Storage: Sandisk II 1TB SSD
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D

Traditionally I’ve always been an ATI guy, my current rig has 7950 which has been fine, however as I am making a new build I was looking for a more current card.

Looking at the market and research I am torn between two cards

ATI Fury X
Nvidia 980 ti

From what I can see these cards are in the same league although the 980 ti has the edge. Fury X has built in watercooling for the same price as an air cooled 980 ti and is reported to be better with DX 12, but since DX 12 hasn’t taken off yet and when it does a newer Gen of cards would be out.

Another aspect that brings into the mix is; I intend to buy a newer monitor to complement the tech of the chosen card. Again this has its pros and cons. Freesync (ATI) monitors are cheaper than their G Sync counterparts with are fewer! This factors in to overall cost of the build and being a Scotsman I like my money in my pocket! :wink:

All I am looking for is people thoughts without turning it into Fanboy debate (I realise I bringing a loaded gun to the table).

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Vora

I would highly suggest waiting for Nvidia’s next generation Pascal/1000 series that will be released in the first quarter of 2016. It will be the first series of cards to implement HBM2 in its design, and as such is expected to have an unusually large generational gap. The price point should be around the same as the cards that are available now.

Thanks for the advice Zark. I did think that myself but I’ve always found of you wait for the next gen of anything you are always waiting!

I took the plunge last night and got the 980 ti in the end.

Hopefully it’ll be here today and I’ll be testing it on SC and other titles.