Comments on PC Build

I am thinking of upgrading my pc in the near future and this is the current build I’m looking at. Please give any suggestions towards parts keeping in mind a max price of $1400.

Build :
1070 first build Edit Part List

Component Selection Price
CPU

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
$318.99 Buy
CPU Cooler

Scythe Kotetsu 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler
$46.88 Buy
Motherboard

ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
$62.98 Buy
Memory

G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
$64.99
Storage

Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
$84.99 Buy

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
$60.87 Buy
Video Card

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card
$449.99 Buy
Case

NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
$100.98 Buy Combo
Power Supply

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
$69.99 Buy
Case Fan

NZXT Air Flow Series 59.1 CFM 120mm Fan
$8.99 Buy

NZXT Air Flow Series 59.1 CFM 120mm Fan
$8.99 Buy

pcpartpicker.com/user/sorra101/ … iew=k6qKHx
Here is the link to pc parts picker

Moderator - Contents removed see below.

Ok, unless you’re doing a crazy 3 or 4 video card build there is no reason to go with broadwell-e for a gaming rig. So just ignore everything SFoxor said you can’t bottleneck a 1070 or 1080 on a LGA 1151 motherboard. X99 builds are a lot more expensive and unless you have some special need that requires them a huge waste of money anyway you do the math.

Now, for commons on your build… Dump the Haswell series chip… the 4790K is 2 years old now, and it’s a waste of money to build on anything older than Skylake - unless you’re doing some specialized rig for something other than gaming. Obviously this change will switch up most of the items on your build. But here are some other points.

• So I’d recommend a Skylake 6600k amzn.to/1ty7OfM - either of these are fast enough to play any game today even the most stressful CPU bound games out today and for the foreseeable future.

• For high end overclocking a closed loop water cooler like a H80 or H100 style amzn.to/1WOIePw will do better in general than an air cooler, and makes the build easier and cleaner.

• Don’t buy a microATX case for a custom build which doesn’t need it for build size, buy a standard ATX motherboard for the case you’ve selected it will give you more ram slots, the ability to easily add a second video card and more room in general. Also it gives you 1 or 2 M.2 connectors which will impact below. I like the Z170’s from ASUS personally, but there are lots of other good one’s out there, but for simple high end overclocking they can’t be beat - amzn.to/28HiEA0

• If you’re going to spend money on an SSD buy the M.2 version of that drive: amzn.to/28He5Wj

Finally if you’re going to order this stuff, please take a minute and read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1171

Moderator - Contents removed, see below.

I am moderating this post to prevent the spread of incorrect information.

@shinigami101 - Listen to Jay’s suggestions, he will save you money. (money that you can use to buy other stuff like games and HOTAS). Being aware of Jay’s real life qualifications, I can tell you that it is in your best interest to take his suggestions seriously. But be sure to ask questions if you have them.

@Sfoxor - If you would like to discuss the moderation please PM me.

Thank you very much, your suggestions have been a great help and I will look into saving up in the near future.